2013/01/25

How we met



It is a really long story that stretches out over a year. The story of how Johan and I met. No, not only how we met, but how we got from first meeting and not really liking eachother to becoming best friends and eventually more than friends. This is the short version:

The first day at design school we met, it was August and Johan was the first person I had an opinion about. We had been told to sit together with two other persons in one corner of the classroom. I saw that Johan was going to sit on the opposite side of me and I thought Oh no, not him!. Don't know what it was that made me feel that way, but certainly he made me feel something immediately although it wasn't anything positive. We started building towers of stuff so we wouldn't have to see eachother. He thought I was annoying, I thought he was a young bitch. Maybe I should add to the story that I wasn't available and not on the look for a new partner. And when it came to Johan, not even a new friend.

Eventually we learned that we both love food. One day he sent me a text message Can you recommend me a restaurant here in Gothenburg? I'm going to have some visitors. I did, he loved the place.

Time passed. I wanted to invite some of my classmates over to watch a movie (a strange thing, I have never liked to watch movies together with a bunch of people) but the only one who came was Johan. For the first time we really started talking with eachother, well not much of a choice when there was just the two of us at my place. OK, first we both fell asleep to the movie to avoid a conversation. All of a sudden I wasn't that annoying to him anymore. All of a sudden he wasn't that much of a young bitch. We slowly started to become friends.

And friends we were. I know exactly when I fell in love with him, it was horrible. He was so amazing. It was the worst feeling ever because I knew there was someone who was going to get hurt, I have never been so confused. I started reading everything backwards, I started thinking backwards and thought how not even the worst movie could be this bad. He bought me my first beer ever on that night when I later on understood that I fell for him; a Guinness. On a certain date I always drink a Guinness to celebrate the day I fell in love with him. He didn't know, he had no idea at all. We ate crêpes outdoors, it was cold and dark and so much of a harsh Swedish winter as you can imagine. We did everything together. Barbequed on a beachvolleyballfield, made sandwich cake, talked the whole nights in front of the fireplace, organized parties, went shopping for a crazy good looking dress, listened to music that made us feel too many things, argued on the phone while I was in Berlin and he in London, slowly getting closer and closer. I kept my feelings a secret for a couple of months, not wanting to admit it to myself, waiting for it to pass. I could feel his scent in a room of forty people and I was for some reason sure he was never going to fall in love with me. I really thought it would pass.

It didn't pass. I moved out of the apartment I shared, to live alone. I had searched for a place for weeks and the only place I got my hands on was strangely enough an apartment very close to where Johan lived. Scariest ever to move in, because I had no idea where Johan and I would go - if we would even stay friends. He doesn't know when he fell in love with me, it was too hard for him to admit those feelings due to someone else being involved. We spent the whole summer together cooking, talking, biking, cutting eachother's hair, swimming, walking, eating, meeting friends. And kissing when no one saw. A Sandra thinking backwards, a Johan not knowing what he wanted - rollercoaster of emotions deluxe. Sometimes he whispered I want to grow old with you in my ear when he thought I was sleeping. That's something we both share - we are both very definite. If we get into a relationship, we do it with a plan. And so it was September and we said What the fuck, let's be together at the pub where we later on made all the big decisions in life so far; moving in together, getting married, moving to Berlin and so on.

84 comments:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever heard!

    I am so happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story; it made me laugh and left that warm fuzzy feeling.
    'He thought I was annoying, I thought he was a young bitch' - brilliant !! :) Your sense of humour. On the other note I am a great believer that you should always marry your best friend if you are planning to grow old with a companion. I have seen so many couples being together for the wrong reasons and it always ends up in tears.
    Thank you for sharing such intimate moments with us Sandra. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I adored this wonderful story about your love.
    I read it to my love and he and I always said "Ohh! and Awww!And smiled to each other"
    You have a beautiful writing style,I could laugh and cry at the same time.

    Thank you for these beautiful story and your photographs on the blog.
    I have been following your blog for a long time. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story! - written with a great sense of humor. Like Tina said: I could laugh and cry at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dolores blanche25 January, 2013 12:21

    jag lipar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful, wonderful heartwarming love story!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fucking good love story I can read it again and again! Wish both of you luck and lot of love together. xxx


    V.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds exactly like my story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omy, I adore good real love stories that read better than fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandra, you just shared very generously a precious and private story! Funny as seen from the other side of the screen (meaning my own computer) you two look like the kind of guys who fell in a coup de fudre! well, if such guys do have a special look. Just an idea ;-)
    I think when you find a guy with whom you can do so many things, stay together all the time like that and never get tired of it, it must really mean something!

    ReplyDelete
  11. goosebumps and some tears in my eyes!
    you are a wonderful and grogeous couple.
    thanks for sharing this, sandra!
    i can feel all the emotions reading this story of you two.
    happy weekend to both of you!

    liebgruss
    eni

    ReplyDelete
  12. i loved the story . . so beautiful and uneasy . . thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful story! You always lid up my day, whether with your lovely photographs or good stories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Then you should watch the new Guinness ad! It's set in the Czech Republic in the 1890s and tells the story of a town’s clock that doesn’t settle for the ordinary. It even pauses time to allow a precious moment to last longer...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! And what´s next in your plan?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely story, love your honesty about it.
    Thanks for sharing and wish you and your husband many years of love and happiness.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  17. can't think of a time when you didn't get along... really!
    beautiful story :))
    thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wundervoll herzerwärmend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your story! Sweet, but also very authentic. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet and funny story! I love your way of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely story :) It was so nice as a follow up to yesterdays post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your story. :) thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love you both, but you know that already! ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. your writing is so strong, and the emotions so palpable: i feel like i'm there with you, feeling with you, longing for + regretting + finally realizing your love. what a beautiful love story. <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. :) åh, fint! så bra att tänka tillbaka på allt igen då o då. gårdagen, fjolåret, och sju åtta nio tio år tillbaka! <3 god helg till er fina!

    ReplyDelete
  26. the way you told your story was very beautiful and romantic! so glad you found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a sweet story, Sandra!
    Loved every bit!

    ReplyDelete
  28. glück und liebe....und grüsse, veronica

    ReplyDelete
  29. <3
    thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was lovely - I love to hear stories about how people met.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing your story! I love hearing how couples have met. I also liked your honesty - "young bitch."

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a story - thanks for sharing! the whispering in your ear, so incredibly romantic. i wish you two - the annoying one and the young bitch - many happy years together : ) x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Das ist eine schöne Liebesgeschichte.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tårögd och klump i halsen. puss på er!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is the sweetest story ever. I'm pretty sure the two of you get more awesome with every post.
    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. så underbart att läsa, nu vill jag också bli kär!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a beautiful story. It's amazing how people can enter your life and become such a large part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this story, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What an unromantic yet romantic story :D! I wish you all the best. Let love rule! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a beautiful story. I wish you all the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  41. this is just so beautiful. amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Matylda Nowak-Jezierska26 January, 2013 23:45

    Such a great story. And so real! Me and my husband, at first hated eachother. Then became close, and onest... thanks to Skype conversations we had. I had no camera, so we wrote on Skype. And after a while he wrote, that he wants to kiss me. Now I'm his wife. Very happy one! Best wishes to You and Johan. Come vist Warsaw - You will be welcomed here.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a wonderful story, you wrote it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  44. i usually do not leave comments after so many already left, but i had to. your story is so beautiful and naive. when love is true and meant to be is exactly like that! i also fell something different when i started talking to my partner and so far 3 years together and we moved in together short after being together. we never regretted and alwaya felt right!

    ReplyDelete
  45. so beautiful - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  46. seeing little glimpses of the life you two share together provides a safe haven to visit when I am not so sure how to feel about the world. You give so much in sharing these stories and photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Sandra, was für eine Geschichte! Ich liebe romantische Liebesgeschichten & alle Liebesgeschichten in meiner Familie sind romantisch & niemals unkompliziert. Ich habe mit meinem mann 10 Monate lang sehr gut zusammengearbeitet & nicht wahrhaben wollen, was mit uns passiert war. Und ja, es war eine endgültige Entscheidung. Wir leben seit fast 36 Jahren zusammen.
    Ich wünsche euch das auch!
    Herzlichst
    Astrid

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you for sharing! A great story!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful story. So brave of you to write all that on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a lovely and heartwarming story, dear Sandra. Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  51. "Sometimes he whispered I want to grow old with you in my ear when he thought I was sleeping", this sentence is so beautiful! What a nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I really enjoy reading this post. I love your blog, you have a great aesthetic judgment. I read your blog every day. Thanks so much for sharing your personal story with us <3

    Greetings from Argentina!

    Aline.

    ReplyDelete
  53. thank you so much for sharing your story=) I am always a bit scared to go personal (I mean very personal) in my blog..but maybe I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  54. What an excellent love story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  55. the comments you have written here are heartwarming and bring a little tear of gratitude to my eye for having such sweet blog readers. i am glad to have shared this story with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Reading this, I could picture the story in my head. :) You two are best together and I miss you both. <3

    ReplyDelete
  57. Vänskap väger så oerhört tungt. Och i mixen med kärlek blir det allra bästa kombinationen! Så fint skrivet Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I loved your history!!!. I follow you a couple of years and always ask me how start your love story. Now i know it!, and completed the picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  59. this sounds like a true love story... when i fell in love with my girlfriend, i thought it was just a rush of feelings caused by a really nice soccergame (sweden involved)at the world cup in 2006.
    the next morning i was still in love.. and the day after, and after.. it didn't pass.. like u wrote above. and now we're still together. and in love.
    i wish u both the very best,
    ce.leb

    ReplyDelete
  60. Amazing post. Lovely story. Best feelings ever: falling in love!
    Writing about this is the most inspiring thing for sure!

    You both are really inspiring.
    Thanks for sharing and lots of love (more) ;)

    Warm hugs from Madrid

    ReplyDelete
  61. love reading your story. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Reading this made me happy and smile.
    Thanks a lot for sharing and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Have just found your blog and am really enjoying reading through past posts. This post is particularly beautiful and I can most definitely relate to it. I fell in love with my best friend also and can remember that moment I fell in love with him well and how much it hurt, I was terrified that he wouldn't love me too but it turned out that he was going through the same thing, it was a year until we got together. We've been together almost 6 years now. Looking forward to reading through the rest of your wonderful posts, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  64. Oh, how I love this story:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, welcome!
If you have a question, please have a look at my FAQ-page.

Anonymous comments and any kind of advertising will not be published.

Thank you!