2014/01/09

A guide to great coffee in Berlin



As promised - A Berlin coffee guide!

Presented below is a list of some of my personal favourites, of which some fit into the Third Wave Coffee category and some don't. The ones that don't are very good too of course. I have marked my favourite favourites with *. The guide is concentrated to the areas of Mitte, Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg. Please click the links for accurate locations, opening hours, cupping information and anything else you want to know not mentioned below. Enjoy!




MITTE

Untitled
The Barn
This coffee institution is still going strong. Don't miss their roastery (read more below in Prenzlauer Berg section, they serve the same edible stuff in both places).



Untitled
Oslo Kaffebar
Vinyl records and good coffee, do I need to say more?




FRIEDRICHSHAIN

Untitled
Untitled
Silo Coffee*
Another pretty new coffee place which I really love. They serve coffee with lots of character and offer some great food and sweets as well. You really recognize this place from their red cups.



Untitled
Passenger am Boxi*
Passenger has a café in Oppelner Strasse, Kreuzberg, and on Saturdays they serve coffee at the Boxi farmers market. For some reason their coffee tastes even better at the market and I always start my weekend there with a flat white from their stall. In the summer I buy some breakfast at the market and make a picnic in the park.



Untitled
Tres Cabezas
Great coffee and cakes and I love to sit here in the summer for a flat white and people watching. Located on Friedrichshain's "Broadway" - Boxhagener Strasse.




KREUZBERG

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Café 9*
This pretty newly opened café is located next to Markthalle IX and I love the minimalistic interior. Apart from coffee they serve various beverages and they also have a small great selection of sweets if you're into that.



Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Chapter one*
Located close to Bergmannstrasse, this is one of the far away places I actually take the subway to go visit. They serve delicious coffee in their small space with not so many places to sit down. Love the floor and the good atmosphere.



Untitled
Untitled
Kaffeebar
This place is more like an office than a café as many freelancers bring their laptops here to work. The coffee is good and I really like the interior design, especially in the back room.



Untitled
Untitled
Concierge*
This place is love. The staff is so sweet and I adore their blue coffee cups. It's a small pretty dark space reminding me of coffee places in New York, in a passage between office buildings at a beautiful location.



Untitled
Untitled
Five Elephant
If you have a sweet tooth I highly recommend Five Elephant, they serve great cakes to go with their really good coffee. They roast their beans themselves and in the summer it's lovely to sit outside.



Untitled
Companion Coffee
Beautiful place located in the Voo Store (very good store if you're into what I call Swedish style clothes, shoes and accessories - I go there when I miss the stylishness of my old country), great service and coffee.



Untitled
westberlin0
West Berlin
So happy you can get good coffee (etc) in one of the most touristic areas; the Checkpoint Charlie. They also sell great magazines.





PRENZLAUER BERG

Untitled
Untitled
The Barn Roastery*
This place never disappoints me. I so love that they have banned laptops; I really prefer having my coffee in a café and not in an office ;) They also make amazing sandwiches and if you're into carrot cake - try theirs!



Untitled
Untitled
Bonanza Coffee Heroes*
Bonanza Coffee Heroes roast their own beans and their place is beautifully designed. Located at the beautiful Oderberger Strasse.



Untitled
Café CK
Friendly place with good coffee located on a pretty street (sitting outside is highly recommended).



Untitled
Untitled
Godshot
Immanuelkirchstrasse is a very beautiful street in the middle of Prenzlauer Berg and Godshot is what makes me go there.




Note: You might think are quite a few coffee places "missing" on my list, it's simply because there are so many places to choose from and although many places not on the list are good, they are not on my personal top list.



Feel free to buy me a coffee if you found this information helpful! Thank you :)


29 comments:

  1. Awesome, as a Berlin lover and coffee addict your post is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this berlin coffee post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a long admirer of your photos on IG - especially those involving coffee! if I'm ever in Berlin, I will be sure to reference this list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. I enjoy all your posts, especially when you let us into your home. I really must visit Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love coffee... and Berlin : thank you Sandra !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great guide and wonderful inspiration for my lunch break today - thank you so much! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips.
    In Neukhölnn, i highly recommend the Two & Two Café (http://www.twoandtwoberlin.com)
    Try their hot chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i've been there, but haven't tried their hot chocolate :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photographs and I really want to visit Berlin and try all these coffee shops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee Sandra, you really made miss Berlin and its coffee :) Cafe CK looks absolutely beautiful, have to check that out next time!

    http://howsheloves.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this. Plenty of new places for me to try out - love the photos, too. I think you might also like No Fire No Glory who also take their coffee seriously http://gloryberlin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, you're welcome, hope you'll find some new favourites!
      i've been to no fire no glory and i like it too :)

      Delete
  11. Long awaited, finally here: sandra's berlin coffee guide, woot woot! Beautiful images. Thanks a lot. I've lived in Berlin all my life but don't know most of the places. A lot to try when friends are visiting me and I have to leave Kreuzberg and "travel" to far away districts in the eastern hemisphere ;) Reason enough to buy you a coffee as a thank you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so sweet, thank you! happy discovering :)

      Delete
  12. Wonderful tips, thank you! I'd love some breakfast recommendations for Berlin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://sandrajuto.blogspot.de/2012/08/sandras-guide-to-berlin.html :)

      Delete
  13. Tres Cabesos – I love their coffee too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bookmarked!!! This will be very useful when I go to Berlin!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful! I have no chance to get to Berlin to have a coffee, but this way i already made a little trip and enjoyed a lot. Tack så mycket:)
    Ajjai. I spent so much time in coffee places while being in Berlin.. *sigh* or actually where ever. Best places to sit down and watch the people and think what ever and just be.

    Happy new year for you Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love coffee
    i love berlin
    and i love these images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a latte lover and I am going to Berlin in Apr, this blog entry is extremely helpful! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. dear sandra, i happen to spend a couple of days in berlin and both your berlin guide and the coffee guide have been not only useful but also daily companions on my walks through berlin's cosiest places.. according to the app on my phone i have spnt the last 2 days walking approx. 20-28 km a day...thank you so much for the guides and your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!! Sandra, thanks so much for the tips! I am a highly experienced Australian barista who has just arrived to Germany and I didnt really know the coffee culture situation, I am looking for work and the places you recommended are EXACTLY the sort of places I was searching for! I am soooo sick of filter coffee and... well terrible coffee in general! In Australia we take our coffee VERY seriously and it, along with food and all things hospitality has really taken off, especially in Melbourne where local Musicians and artists like myself fell into the coffee field at first to make the rent and survive, but as the years went on it became apart of us and now art and food and coffee go hand in hand and quite often the artist you will see play in your fave bar will own the cafe you have coffee at the next day (and most likely make it!). There is a real sense of community and thats what Im looking for. If you have any more tips or recommendations, in particular regards to employment, by anyone at all really, it would be greatly appreciated, And, who knows, with your help i may even make you a damn good cup of coffee one day! thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will have to remember this the next time I am in Germany searching for a coffee shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks so much for this great overview and the lovely pictures. Based on your recommendations, we went to Bonanza Coffee Heroes in Prenzlberg during our Berlin visit and we LOOOOVED the coffee, one of the best cappuccinos I've ever had and the cafe smells so good of the roasted coffee beans. Can't wait to try more of your recommended cafes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in love!!! I wish I had seen your post prior to visiting Berlin this summer. Awesome photos, the coffees look really delicious

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea for finding coffee in a different country. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely post with very important information. I am currently visiting Berlin :-)
    Helentsokana.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome blog, and great post on Berlin’s best coffee places. Did you ever try the Café Anna Blume in Prenzlauer Berg? It’s more of a restaurant than coffee shop but as I recall the coffee there was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, welcome!
If you have a question, please have a look at my FAQ-page.