2016/08/21

I(t) started in 1991

Untitled
In 1991 I started listening to Kraftwerk and Pet Shop Boys, two bands which led me to techno. This album introduced me to the wonderful world of electronic music. In 1991 I also started studying German and started making plans to move here, plans made by a 13 year old though.

Untitled
Johan and our friend Ben drinking beer in the afternoon. In 1991 me and my friends started organizing discos which we called rave parties.

Untitled
In 1991 I spent much of my time at home listening to music and writing in my journals, sometimes 15-20 pages a day. For christmas I got my stereo with vinyl player, cd player and cassette player of which I'm still using the amplifier, it is one of the most wonderful gift I ever got.

Untitled
This dog was carrying a book on his way to the bar, then he lied down completely chilled. A rat passed by, stayed in front of the dog and stared, before it ran away. The dog couldn't care less. In 1991 I was as obsessed with dogs as I am now.

Untitled
In 1991 I planned to be a translator or teacher in German. I dreamed of being an artist of some sort, but around me this didn't exist as a reality and everyone told me I had to study like an idiot and "become something important" which for them didn't mean working in art. I'm so glad I eventually didn't listen to them (after studying 7 languages...).

Untitled
In 1991 I was dancing like crazy at our parties and at around 16 years of age I thought I was too old to do this. I became a serious and boring person with an inner monster who wanted to get out. This monster didn't get out until I was by number much older than 13. One thing you learn by getting older, is that you're never really getting old unless you choose to.

Untitled
I think the Sandra of 1991 would be very happy of where I am today.

5 comments:

  1. That is so interesting, I didn't know you had a wish to live in Germany even when you were 13. Thank you for sharing, I love your photos and words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were never being boring! :) (PS That dog, oh my god.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say: really really really missed this kind if posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you wrote that post, especially the 'don't listen to people who tell you to study like an idiot to become someone important'. I sure would have needed to hear that as a 13 years old - and then to hear it over and over again in my 20s ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, welcome!
If you have a question, please have a look at my FAQ-page.